Hello Forest Grove families,
As many of you have heard, the BC Health and Education Ministries made an announcement today (Dec. 29th) stating that the return to school for the majority of students will be delayed until Monday, Jan. 10th.
If you missed the announcement, you can find it here (https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0079-002460) or at most BC news websites.
We understand that this will lead to a lot of questions from parents as this will not only mean a delayed return after the Winter Break, but will also lead to some changes at the school when everyone returns.
As of right now, I don’t have any answers for you, but as soon as I find out, I’ll add information to the website to keep you updated without inundating you with constant emails.
Added Dec. 31st, 2021:
Why is the return to school being delayed?
- Public and independent schools can implement enhanced safety measures for safe in-person learning (this may lead to having to redo our school schedules for staggered start, end, and break times and various other enhancements which will require planning)
- Public health can learn more about the Omicron variant in our communities and ensure the right measures are in place to keep students and staff safe
The following is an email that went home Dec. 31st, 2021:
Hello again Forest Grove families,
You have hopefully already received an email from Gina, the Burnaby School District Superintendant, outlining the delayed restart (click HERE for the letter)
While no instruction will take place from January 4-7, schools will be open for a limited number of students that require child care. This will include children with diverse abilities and students whose parents or guardians are essential healthcare workers. As always, we will try to accommodate the children of other essential workers, as capacity and staffing levels allow.
Please complete the following short survey if you are:
- An essential healthcare worker and cannot make child care arrangements for next week
- A parent of a child with diverse abilities
- An essential worker that cannot make child care arrangements for next week
- A parent with extenuating circumstances
If you do not require your children to be at school next week, there is no need to complete the form and we look forward to seeing you all on January 10th.
Happy New Year everyone!
Mr. K. Gurney
For more information please check the following links
- BC CDC school info – http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/childcare-schools/schools
- COVID safe schools – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/covid-19-safe-schools
- Provincial & Regional Restrictions – https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restrictions
- Burnaby School District COVID information – https://burnabyschools.ca/covid-19-sharing-clear-and-current-information/
I hope you’re all enjoying your break and look forward to seeing you all soon.
Mr. K. Gurney